So you’re looking to build your home’s equity and you’re wondering what will be the best way to go about recouping renovation investments and maximizing your home’s sale price. Look no further, here are the top ten upgrades that can promote your house to a top dollar sale.
1. Paint: A fresh coat of paint and ideally in the neutral color palate, can do wonders to enliven a space. Think about how color can tie in your entire home design. Think about using one one color of paint, or painting within the same family of neutral colors.
2. Flooring: Hard wood flooring has garnered a very general popularity that doesn’t seem to be going away and it is a great way to go, especially in dining rooms, living rooms, bedrooms and even bathrooms. A less expensive alternative is laminate. There are many laminate products on the market to choose from that offer a great look and for a small price.
3. Lighting: Go ahead and replace dated fixtures with new ones – maybe even consider making a statement with a fixture. The dining room fixture is one that you can be creative with. Find a beautiful chandelier or something funky and modern. These touches go a long way to light up your home. Also, upgrade switch plates and electrical outlet covers with the latest versions and install dimmer switches in the main rooms. Energy efficient compact fluorescent bulbs are all the rage.
4. Entrance: Make your entrance bright, clean and sleek. Clear away all excesses and hang a nice light fixture. For accents you might consider a long bench, or demi-lune table.
5. Updated Hardware: If you can’t go for the gusto and re-do an entire kitchen or bathroom, replacing old, dated hardware is a good start. Stainless steel is a very popular choice, and goes well with many styles and colors of cupboards.
6. Curb Appeal: Don’t leave this important aspect of your property unattended to. This is what will draw folks into your home. At the very least have your lawn as green as can be, clipped and tidy. Your garden should be free of dead or decaying growth and should ideally have some annuals planted for a burst of eye-popping color.
7. Screening: This means privacy. Installing a fence that creates a screen and some privacy from neighboring properties definitely adds value to your home. Likewise adding a deck can be a great use of yard space by extending living space into the outdoors.
8. Main Bathroom: Although many older homes have a bathroom on the second floor, a current day essential is a small bathroom on the main floor.( toilet, sink and mirror) See what you can do about converting a main floor closet into a small washroom.
9. The Ensuite: More and more, a full-service spa like bathroom off the master bedroom is a real draw for buyers. Think jet tubs, heated tile flooring, granite, marble, plush white towels, and great storage features.
10. New Kitchen: Last but certainly not least is the renovated kitchen. The most preferred features include stone countertops, stainless-steel appliances, ceramic sinks, and an over-all neutral to earth toned color scheme.